Information about the Central Kootenay region and matters of concern to the Food Policy Council are located here. The page will be a living library, with new resources added as they become available or known. If you have a document or resource that you believe belongs here, please email the Council Co-ordinator.
Information about who lives in our communities, how we live together, how well we are doing.
- Rural Development Institute’s Community Profiles. Snapshots of each municipality in the region are available.
- Rural Development Institute’s State of the Basin 2015 Snapshot Report.
What is happening in our communities to support entrepreneurs and existing businesses.
Information on the health of our ecosystems and how we are addressing climate change in our region.
- Castlegar’s Climate Change Adaptation Project Report (2011)
- Kaslo / Area D’s Climate Change Adaptation Project Report (2010)
Food Systems & Agriculture
Information about how our foodshed functions and looks like, our challenges and opportunities.
- RDCK’s Agricultural Land Use Inventory (2017)
- BC Ministry of Agriculture’s Agriculture in Brief, overview of Central Kootenay agriculture.
- Real Estate Foundation’s Summary Report from Your Local Food Future: A Kootenay Region Dialogue (2014)
Government & Policy
Key policy documents and information about the local governments of the Regional District of Central Kootenay.
- Central Kootenay Agriculture Plan (2011)
- Agriculture Plan Implementation Report (2016)
- Agriculture Plan Background Report (2011)
Hunger & Health
Reports and information related to challenges accessing enough food, and the health of the people in the Central Kootenay.
- Nelson Food Security Assessment (2014)
- PROOF’s BC Household food insecurity indicator report (2016). Contains information for the Interior Health region.
Indigenous People of the Region
Information about the foundation of our region: its first peoples.